AVON — The village’s deep history continues to be commended with a new historical marker commemorating Littleville, the area on the Avon village and town line that surrounds Avon’s treasured historical paper mill.
According to the Town of Avon’s Facebook page, Littleville was originally settled in 1830 by pioneer Norman Little, and the area quickly became known for its mills, powered by the Genesee River.
Legendary American writer Arch Merrill points out in A River Ramble that James and William Wadsworth established the first permanent flouring mill in the Genesee Valley prior to 1797 in the area that would become Littleville, but that mill burned down in 1864, and was later rebuilt as a paper mill, the walls of which still stand today.
The sign was dedicated Nov. 20 by Avon historian Maureen Kingston.
PHOTO CAPTION: Photo from Town of Avon’s Facebook page.