LIVINGSTON COUNTY — The Center for Dispute Settlement is seeking award nominees for this year’s Annual Awards Luncheon.
Organizations and individuals are honored every year for their initiative to uphold the Center for Dispute Settlement goal to peacefully resolve family, school, workplace, and community related conflicts before any legal action is required.
“Our charge is to mediate the needs of real people when conflicts arise and help them agree on a solution that would have otherwise escalated out of control,” said Sherry Walker-Cowart, CEO for the Center for Dispute Settlement.
According to a press release,individuals or organizations may be nominated for one or more awards from any of the eight participating counties: Cayuga, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne and Yates.
The award that are available for nomination are:
- George A. Vito Peer Mediator Award honors a high school and/or college student who exemplifies peaceful problem solving using alternative dispute resolution principles in his/her school.
- Community Service or Peace Award honors a local citizen who, by word or deed, has promoted the causes of peace and nonviolence, civility and conciliation.
- Janus Award honors a Center for Dispute Settlement mediator for outstanding efforts in promoting the principles of nonviolent conflict resolution.
- Distinguished Jurist Award honors a judge or justice who has advanced the practice and understanding of mediation.
- Honored Law Enforcement Award recognizes a law enforcement person or department that exemplifies the de-escalation of conflict on a regular basis and makes the community more peaceful – in partnership with citizens.
“We want to honor those who have exemplified our mission in hopes that others will feel empowered to seek the same peaceful alternatives,” said Cowart.
Nomination forms can be downloaded at www.cdsadr.org and must be submitted by no later than October 31.
The Annual Awards Luncheon will be held Wednesday, February 26, 2014 at the Rochester Plaza Hotel from 11:45 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.
All nominee submissions can be delivered to Dorethea Jackson-Smith at the Center for Dispute Settlement, Reynolds Arcade Building, 16 East Main Street, Suite 800, Rochester, or emailed to email@example.com.
For more information please visit, www.cdsadr.org.