SPRINGWATER – Two teens came home from school to find the wood stove in their home burning uncontrollably, and before the house could be saved it was a total loss.
According to a press release from Livingston County Sheriff Thomas Dougherty, Deputy Sheriffs responded to in the Town of Springwater on Feb. 6th at approximately 3:30 p.m. for a wood stove fire inside the residence, on Tabors Corners Road, but upon arrival, a portion of the house was fully engulfed and the fire spread through the entire house.
First responders learned that when the two teenage children came home from school, they heard fire alarms going off and when they went inside they saw the smoke and flames coming from the pellet stove hopper. They at first tried to put the fire out but were unsuccessful. The children alerted their parents and were able to get out of the residence safely.
The family will be staying with other family members, and the Red Cross will be assisting the family moving forward. The Sheriff’s Office’s community-oriented policing Deputy will also stay in contact with the family to assist in any way.
The Springwater, Atlanta, Wayland, Perkinsville, Hemlock, Richmond, Cohocton and Sparta Center Fire Departments responded to the scene.
PHOTO CAPTION: File Photo.