SPRINGWATER – A Springwater family is without their home on Grouse Road and dog after a fire that started in the last hours of Thursday from discarded ashes from their fireplace.
According to a press release from Sheriff Thomas Dougherty, the residents, Michael and Barbara Williams, were not injured.
The fire was reported at 11:03 p.m. and members of the Sheriff’s Office along with the Springwater Fire Department responded to the scene. Upon arrival, responders found the home to be fully involved in fire. Deputies began their investigation as the Fire Department battled the fire.
The fire was eventually extinguished, but the home was deemed a total loss and the dog did not survive. There was also extensive damage to two vehicles which were parked near the residence. One was damaged by severe heat and the other caught on fire and was lost.
The Livingston County Fire Coordinator’s Office responded to the scene and assisted with the investigation. The cause of the fire was found to be hot ashes which were emptied from the fireplace earlier in the day. These ashes were placed into a plastic container on the back porch of the home. They smoldered for a period of time before setting the plastic on fire.
Firefighters with the Springwater, Wayland, Hemlock, Sparta and Perkinsville Fire Departments responded to the scene alongside Sheriff’s Deputy Deputy Timothy Sweeting, Deputy Caleb Cutting of the Forensic Identification Unit and Sgt. James Merrick.
Fire Coordinator Kevin Niedermaier and Deputy Coordinator Tom McGory assisted in the investigation as well.
The American Red Cross was contacted and assisted the family.