For the convenience of its many regular food shoppers, the City of Rochester’s Public Market will remain open with precautionary accommodations during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Market’s shopping hours will remain the same: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6 a.m. – 1 p.m. and Saturdays from 5 a.m. – 3 p.m.
The Market has implemented a new set of guidelines for vendors and shoppers to increase health and safety measures at this time.
• Requiring vendors to wear food-grade gloves and change them frequently;
• Deep cleaning all Market areas with disinfectant;
• Allowing through-traffic for faster and more efficient pickups;
• Staffing an additional sanitation crew on Market days to continuously disinfect surfaces, doors, railings, restrooms, etc.;
• Installation of sanitizer pumps throughout the B shed, next to all entryways and near bathrooms;
• Propping open doorways in the indoor B Shed to increase airflow and decrease interaction with doors, handles, etc.;
• Posting City of Rochester signage about ways to reduce the spread of germs;
• Removal of all seating from restaurant kiosks on Market grounds in recognition of New York State’s restaurant and bar seating ban;
• Implementing additional security staff in order to monitor and prevent crowding of indoor areas;
• Staggering work hours and approving alternative work spaces and conditions for Market staff to decrease opportunities for exposure; and
• Communicating via email with Market shoppers and vendors about best practices, such as social distancing, frequent hand washing and sanitizing, maintaining a space of at least six feet from other shoppers and vendors, staying home while sick, covering coughs and sneezes, the importance of washing produce and requesting that shoppers minimize their market shopping trips.