Reading this on your phone or tablet? Download our new app on Google Play and the Apple store.
Amazing Property in Lakeville! 5707 Big Tree Rd
SPARTA – A 39-year-old man and his dog are confirmed dead in a house fire on Reeds Corners Road that started Thursday night as the man was apparently asleep in bed.
According to Director of Emergency Management Kevin Niedermaier, the fire was started by extension cords under the carpet, and firefighters on scene were also concerned about two propane tanks stored just outside the residence.
“It was a very serious fire with tragic deaths,” said Niedermaier. “There were two propane tanks, what you would expect to be kept for fueling a gas grill, and as is standard they had pressure release valves that did release. The valves did their jobs, and the propane did not get involved.”
A neighbor called in the fire at about 10:30 p.m. when they smelled smoke and then saw that the sky was “ablaze.”
According to news partner 13WHAM, the historic home was more than 130 years old.
It took four fire departments about one hour to get the fire under control.
PHOTO CAPTION: (Photo/Twitter, @KelsieSmithWHAM)
[…] – Investigators have identified the man who tragically died in a house fire on Reeds Corners Road the night of Thursday, April […]