Harmful Algal Blooms Health Advisory for Conesus Lake
Harmful algal blooms (Blue Green Algae) have recently been found in the old outlet of Conesus Lake. Contact with the algae may result in some health issues such as itching, rashes, fever, headache, upper respiratory symptoms, vomiting and diarrhea. These symptoms are not just caused by harmful algae contact. If you have any of these symptoms and they persist, you should seek medical advice.
You are advised not to drink or use the lake water for cooking and do not swim, wade, play, or come into direct contact with water that is discolored or has scums on the surface. Pets should not be allowed to drink or to come into contact with discolored water. If contact occurs, wash with soap and clean water to remove algal material. Always rinse after coming into contact with any surface water whether or not a blue-green algae bloom is present. Avoid contact with surface water when open cuts or wounds are present on the body.