LIVINGSTON COUNTY – The Livingston County Clerk’s Office is asking residents to contact their representatives in New York State government to support proposed legislation to keep a higher percentage of DMV revenue in the county.
According to a press release from Livingston County Clerk’s Office, the county retains 12.7 percent of fees paid when a Livingston County resident conducts business at the DMV located in Geneseo. The other 87.3 percent goes to New York State.
“Livingston County employees are servicing Livingston County motorists when they come into their local office, while the majority of the money goes to Albany,” said Mary Strickland, Livingston County Clerk. “New York State at minimum, with tax caps and unfunded mandates, must let local government keep a more equitable share of the revenue that is generated.”
The proposed legislation would increase the percent of DMV revenue retained by Livingston County from 12.7 percent to 25 percent.
Many clerk’s offices in New York State are also spurring local residents to support this bill. Strickland added that the bill would double the DMV revenue for Livingston County that is available for county services.
“This would be additional revenue that would stay local and help support critical services to Livingston County while helping to avoid the need to raise county taxes,” said Strickand. “I encourage county residents to contact their local representatives in the New York Senate and Assembly to support bill S4964/A8201 which would increase the counties share of Department of Motor Vehicles revenue.”