AVON – A car’s fuel tank started leaking gas on the ground at the Mobil gas station on Lakeville Road, sending a mother, son and golden retriever from Pennsylvania home with 91-year-old Grandma.
Monica Smith noticed fluid leaking from her Subaru Outback at about 6:15 p.m. when she stopped at Mobil on her way to visit Grandma in Webster, with her teenage son and retriever Chase in tow.
“I must have hit something because I heard a big ‘boom’ awhile back on 390, but I didn’t notice anything until I pulled in here and filled my tank,” said Monica Smith. “I see this dripping and at first I thought it was the air conditioning, but then I thought ‘no, it’s too rancid.’ Fortunately a firefighter happened to be here and I told him what was happening, and he called 911.”
Firefighters with East Avon arrived on scene, spread kitty litter on the puddles of fuel, and later swept it up.
The Mobil station parking lot was closed to traffic during the cleanup.
Firefighters pushed the car to Mike Guenther Automotive, located next door to Mobil.
State Police and an Avon Ambulance were also on scene to assist.