YORK – Overloaded extension cords were at the root cause of a fire that burned a barn housing some chickens on Monday.
According to Kevin Niedermaier of the Livingston County Office of Emergency Management, all of the chickens survived the blaze at 2900 Fowlerville Road, which broke out at approximately 4 p.m.
“A coiled 100-foot extension cord inside was hooked up to a 50-foot extension cord on a post, which was hooked up to an 8-foot extension cord going to a heat lamp,” said Niedermaier. “We need to remind people that not only should you not daisy-chain extension cords, but you need the right size cord for the job.”
As firefighters thoroughly soaked the barn, a live electrical line fell into the burning rubble, throwing a burst of sparks into the air.
The barn was a total loss.
York Fire Chief Dustin Geiger took command of the scene, with the Caledonia Fire Department responding for mutual aid. Ambulance crews with Livingston County EMS responded to the scene alongside the Livingston County Office of Emergency Management, Livingston County Sheriff’s Office, and New York State Police.