LIVINGSTON COUNTY – Everyone knows the best way to celebrate our independence is with beers, burgers, and bursting fireworks.
A press release from the Livingston County Health Department recommends basic smart usage measures to complement advisories put out by firework companies.
“Be aware of your surroundings and make safe choices, both during and after a fireworks display,”said Yvonne Oliver of the Livingston County Department of Health. “Be cautious driving this weekend as well.”
According to a press release from the Livingston County Department of Health, the following safety tips will keep you and your fellow patriots out of harm’s way:
Parents and caretakers should always closely supervise teens if they are using fireworks.
Parents should not allow young children to handle or use fireworks.
Fireworks should only be used outdoors.
Know your fireworks. Read the caution label before igniting.
Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
Always have water ready if you are shooting fireworks. Avoid using homemade fireworks or illegal explosives: you can never be sure what they will do.
Never hold a child in your arms while using sparklers. Never throw sparklers. Sparkler wire and stick remain hot long after the flame has gone out.
Be sure to drop spent sparklers in a bucket of water. Pet safety is also important during this holiday celebration. Be sure to keep skittish pets, especially dogs, in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.
The Livingston County Department of Health urges residents to follow these safety rules this Fourth of July in their holiday celebrations.