GENESEO – A grass fire clouded green fields off of Rte. 39 (Avon Geneseo Road) Monday afternoon, reminding local residents that under lush new grass is the same tinder-dry dead material from March.
According to Geneseo Fire and Ambulance Chief Andrew Chanler, the property owner had safely burned an old brush pile on Sunday. Many hours later, at about 1:45 p.m. Monday, that smoldering fire ignited dead growth under the new green grass.
“Though the grass appears to be green, underneath is dry,” said Chanler. “A little bit of wind, and we have a grass fire.”
No one was injured in the fire and no structures were damaged.
Though the annual New York State burn ban period is over, homeowners are encouraged to make sure that any controlled fires are completely extinguished before leaving them unattended.