“The gas leak was first reported at 7:58 a.m. this morning and University Police were the first authorities on the scene,” said David Irwin, Director of Media Relations and Senior Communications Manager for SUNY Geneseo. “Repair crews arrived about 8:30 a.m. and it was fixed by 10 a.m.”
The response from campus security and emergency alert services was prompt and effective. Within twelve minutes of reports of the gas leak, the University Police Department and automatic SUNY NY-ALERT system had sent emails warning the camps community of the situation. Vehicle and pedestrian traffic was closed by Bailey Hall was closed during repairs and has returned to normal.
Though the pipe was repaired without complications, the Geneseo Fire Department was on scene as a precaution.
The campus thanks all emergency responders and the Rochester Gas+Electric repair crews for a job well done.