LIVINGSTON COUNTY – County officials have issued an alert regarding credit card skimmers being used at gas station fuel pumps.
According to a press release from the Livingston County Weights and Measures the County has seen an increased report of skimming devices being used at gas pumps and is offering tips on ways you can protect yourself from credit card information being stolen.
– Although it may be inconvenient at times, pay inside the store when using your credit card at the fuel pump.
– Consider choosing fueling locations that have adequate lighting and visibility, particularly after hours.
– Thieves look for easy targets when installing skimmers.
– Pay attention to signs that a credit card swiper/keypad or fuel pump enclosure has been tampered with.
Loose parts or signs of forced entry may be a red flag.
– Consider the credit card you’re using. Cards that have chip technology can be more secure and some
retailers offer store specific credit cards that cannot be used for other purchases and may have cost
incentives for purchases.
-Monitor your credit card activity online if possible and consider setting up alerts for unusual purchases.
Officials ask that if you have any further questions please call the Livingston County Department of Health – Center for Environmental Health at (585)243-7280.