AVON – Investigators believe that the fire that destroyed a garage on Clinton Street started when the homeowner was using a chop saw.
According to Kevin Niedermaier, Director of Livingston County Emergency Management, the preliminary investigation found that the fire started when sparks from the saw flung into dry debris on the detached garage floor shortly after 2 p.m.
“Sparks fell into dry leaves on the floor and ignited,” said Niedermaier, who investigated the fire with the assistance of firefighters and the Avon Police Department.
The fire spread to the entire garage structure and threatened nearby houses. Only the garage sustained irreparable damage.
“The fire never made it into any other houses,” said Niedermaier. “The house by the garage had some exterior fire damage both nothing inside.”
Avon Elementary School went into lockdown while first responders were at the scene.