Chimney Fire Ruins Hand-Built Livonia Home

A firefighter cuts the decorative moon off of the house. (Photo/Conrad Baker)

A firefighter cuts the decorative moon off of the house. (Photo/Conrad Baker)

LIVONIA – A Livonia homeowner is without the home that he built himself on Livonia Center Road.

John Freestone says that the fire started in the chimney to the coal stove. He tried fighting the flames himself until they got out of hand at about 10:40 a.m.

Sun Market

“The fire started in the tar around the chimney and spread into the roof,” said Freestone. “I couldn’t get to it with the handheld extinguisher. At that point, I knew it was time to call. It was all over.”

Firefighters with the Livonia, Lakeville, Hemlock and East Avon Fire Departments responded to the scene and extinguished the flames. Firefighters had to cut through the peak of the roof and break several windows to put the fire out.

“Every time I hear one of those windows break I cringe,” said Freestone. “I put them all in by hand. I see they’re cutting off the moon on the front…too bad.”

Freestone carries a positive attitude toward the whole incident.

“I was just saying the other day that I’m newly retired and bored, I need something to do,” said Freestone. “I just hope that I can find my wallet in all of that. I have a feeling I’m going to need my credit card.”

Livonia EMS responded to the scene alongside firefighters and NYS Police.

Crews are currently working to extinguish ‘hotspots’ of smoldering material in the house.

Smoke rises from the windows. (Photo/Conrad Baker)

Smoke rises from the windows. (Photo/Conrad Baker)

The chimney, which Freestone said was the root of the fire. (Photo/Conrad Baker)

The chimney, which Freestone said was the root of the fire. (Photo/Conrad Baker)

Smoke rises from the windows. (Photo/Conrad Baker)

Smoke rises from the windows. (Photo/Conrad Baker)