AVON – A leaf and grass fire on Triphammer Road was quickly extinguished by firefighters Thursday afternoon when a resident’s seemingly harmless cardboard fire in a shallow pit on his property suddenly got out of hand.
The resident said that the fire suddenly got out of control when a gust of wind blew burning material into nearby grass and leaves, which were apparently bone dry on that beautiful 70-degree Thursday afternoon.
Fortunately, firefighters quickly put out the crawling flames, and there were no injuries or property damage.
Firefighters with the East Avon and Geneseo Fire Departments responded to the scene, assisted by Livingston County Sheriff’s Deputies, Captain Brian Applin with the Sheriff’s Investigation Division, and a Geneseo Ambulance crew.
PHOTO CAPTION: (Photos/Conrad Baker)