At about 1:40 p.m., Bill Hassler and his brother, who owns the camper, were apparently working on the big vehicle to revitalize and completely reupholster it, when suddenly a fire started near the engine in the front.
“The battery was charging and all of a sudden I hear this crackling,” said Hassler. “Flames were all over the front. The sad thing is that just last week my brother and I went over all new furniture for the inside. I don’t know if he’s ordered any of it yet, but it was supposed to come from way out in California.”
The camper had a large ‘Semper Fi’ bumper sticker on the front bumper. It was parked close to a large wooden shed, but that structure was not affected by the fire.
Firefighters with the York Fire Department were called to the scene, as well as the Geneseo Fire Department for mutual aid. Livingston County Sheriff’s Deputies also assisted on scene, as well as Livingston County EMS.
Reading this on your phone or tablet? Download our new app on Google Play and the Apple store.