GENESEO – One of Geneseo’s most historic landmarks has been closed momentarily as a result of the freezing temperatures seen here in Livingston County this past week.
Located at 46 Main St., the Big Tree Inn has suffered prominent damage on several floors of the building as a result of frozen pipes bursting from one of the third floor guest rooms.
“The town has been outstanding in helping us out with this matter,” said Mark Scott, executive director of Campus Auxiliary Services.
C.A.S., as it is better known by the students at SUNY Geneseo, owns and operates the Big Tree Inn as well as the dining facilities on campus.
Scott stated that at approximately 8 a.m. Wednesday morning, the general manager at the Big Tree Inn was alerted that the sprinkler system in the third floor Seneca Room was causing an issue in which the Geneseo Fire Department responded to the scene.
It was quickly surmised that the pipes had been frozen, which had caused the sprinkler system malfunction, and water from the Seneca Room to pour from the ceiling and into every room beneath.
Several second and third floor rooms have suffered damages to the walls, floors, and ceilings, while few telephones and surveillance cameras have also been damaged.
Other significant areas of the inn that were affected include Parlor B on the first floor, where renovations to the window sills and carpets were completed 18 months ago, as well as the private dining room, in which there appeared to be some carpet and ceiling damage.
Scott is very optimistic regarding the restoration, and anticipates being able to open the tavern and kitchen to its usual fashion within 48 hours, permitting that it is safe to do so, and with the approval from the village.
Check back with us for updates this weekend on the reopening of the tavern.